Tera

If it relates to videogames but needs its own category...
Regular

Tera

Postby Sekhet » Thu May 31, 2012 1:57 pm

So, Nards & I on a whim decided to check out Tera. It's pretty fun. Mindless, fast action, and you can make the most ridiculous looking toons. Which is, of course, where Nards & I have spent most of our time I think. :D

Board Veteran

Re: Tera

Postby Flex » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:57 pm

so i have been looking at this game for a little while.. it seems pretty neat... well the combat system does.. how is it? the graphics are pretty nice looking as well.
Stelio....Stelio Kontos...

Regular

Postby Sekhet » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:19 am

It's pretty fun. I'm having a blast, really. Controls are kind of like Vindictus, so I actually play with a Xbox controller. You don't "tab" or "lock on" to a mob, each class has a reticle, you line whatever mob you are fighting up with that and blast them. You don't need to be as precise with the melee classes (there's splash damage in this game which I LOVE) but ranged, you won't hit if they're not in your reticle. However I've noticed that ranged have a few AoEs to counter this (but they're up close AoEs).

There's a lot of movement in the game play. I think this is where people are saying you have to have skill to play, not just hit buttons. A lot of the classes have abilities for dodging, sometimes with damage associated with it. For example, the priest has a really fun attack where an explosion goes off at their feet, damaging all in a 4m radius and they leap backwards. The dodging & mobility is a lot of fun.

There's different kinds of BAM's (Big Ass Monsters) that you need to be in a party to take down. Those are pretty fun. Some of them are in specific areas for specific quests, I'm sure there's tons in the instances (haven't done one of those yet) and there are also some just wandering around as well as world bosses.

Graphics are very asiany, but also remind me a lot of Rift. Very vibrant. You get a mount after the beginning island (which you leave around lvl 11), which is nice, but, the overall transportation system is kind of limited and expensive which sucks. The pegasus ride is pretty awesome the first time though. A lot of running around, which Nards said was typical for a Korean game.

Community seems very vocal and very engaged and very amusing. Seems to be a lot of MMO veterans, so you get the snarky, quirky, jaded humor, quips, and trolls which are a lot of fun to read. They're also pretty helpful too.

Nards is probably a better source for more technical explanations and/or comparisons to other games. I just like to kill shit which this game makes fun and pretty simplistic. Oh, speaking of, I hear that this is like *the* pvp game. I haven't tried it, cuz I generally suck at pvp, but I could see how it would be a lot of fun.

Board Veteran

Postby Nards » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:30 pm

I don't want peeps to see this as an attempt to pull people from Swtor.
Sure, Tera is fun. But I'm seeing it as a distraction, while we wait for server merges and other goodies in the next Swtor patch.
I'll pop in this weekend. I've just burned myself out on swtor, like I always do with these silly games.

Mostly, just wanted to let y'all know where we've been hiding at.
Wait...where in the hell is the mission door?

Board Veteran

Postby Flex » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:58 am

Cool..I played the demo last night to get a feel for the game.. and its not too shabby...its different for sure..but not bad.
Stelio....Stelio Kontos...

Return to Other Video Games