First-Person Shooters
Board Veteran

Postby vandal » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:09 am

lol

" hey, come look at my $500 george forman grill. It's also a paperweight!"
Just Like You Imagined

Posting God

Postby Kix » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:44 am

I don't get quite as excited about shooters as all of you seem to... You see, the problem is that I lack any skill at them. Nards can vouch for that, since he's gone to LAN parties with me.

That said, I'll almost definitely be checking out UT2k7. UT has been my favorite out of the shooter games.

Site Administrator

Board Veteran

Postby vandal » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:51 am

lol (at kix).

I hate getting tea-bagged by obnoxious 12 year olds on halo :x

Im getting my sniping skills in the works for halo 3. Gears has the slowest sniper of any game but i still manage to pull that off somehow!
Just Like You Imagined

Board Veteran

Postby vandal » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:30 am

omg :shock: i WANT IT..NOW..Cael i envy you!

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/694/69419 ... 56832.html
Just Like You Imagined

Board Veteran

Postby Cael » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:45 pm

vandal wrote:omg :shock: i WANT IT..NOW..Cael i envy you!

As you should! Now, if I can just get a CPU fan that fits on my motherboard... I picked up the Tt V1, but the mounting bracket would press against the capacitors(?) near the CPU and I don't think that's too smart. In the meantime I'll deal with the noise and no overclocking.

Board Veteran

Postby vandal » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:55 pm

Does your cpu limit your video card...like bottleneck it or something? ( it's an 8800gtx right?)

Im waiting until at least next year to get a computer. I just havent been in to pc gaming as much as i use to. There are not as many promising titles ( with the exception of crysis of course) on it.
Just Like You Imagined

Board Veteran

Postby ShadesOfGrey » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:49 pm

Kix wrote:I don't get quite as excited about shooters as all of you seem to... You see, the problem is that I lack any skill at them. Nards can vouch for that, since he's gone to LAN parties with me.

That said, I'll almost definitely be checking out UT2k7. UT has been my favorite out of the shooter games.

The issue I have with UT games vs. games like battlefield is that UT and Quake seemed much more like twitch games to me. Where as in Battlefield there is a bit more strategy involved.

I am beginning to look into the next fps I will buy. Thinking of Medal Of Honor: Airbourne. Or Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

Board Veteran

Postby ShadesOfGrey » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:51 pm

Also. The draw to the fps games for me is that I can log on and just play. No crafting... no resource gathering... just play

no monthly fees.....

Sure there is a bit of leveling to get some weapon unlocks, but you can still be competitive even with the basic guns.

Board Veteran

Postby vandal » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:50 pm

Actually i have yet to play any of the Unreal series but i did love playing quake arena online. I think i am looking forward to the Unreal series because i am more of a graphics whore but gameplay matters alot too.
I will, however, say that halo 3 will destroy anything when it comes to online versus battles!
Just Like You Imagined

Posting God

Postby Kix » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:55 pm

I never thought Halo was anything special. It was the best shooter I'd played on the console, but it never came close to UT or Deus Ex or any of the other really rocking shooters on PC...

Site Administrator

Board Veteran

Postby vandal » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:41 pm

kix, c'mon, there is nothing better then the halo series. Even though i admit the second one's storyline sucked, the online play was awesome. However, i can understand you not liking it if you dont have the..er.. certain lvl of.....skill ;) but being the halo master that i am, nothing makes me happier then hearing a grown man cry about the unjustice of everyone being better then him at a freakin videogame!
Now....that being said... i DO NOT spend everyday in front of a TV so do not criticize my natural talent :mrgreen:
Just Like You Imagined

Posting God

Postby Kix » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:38 am

Halo was fine, but it really didn't compare to the great PC shooters. Halo 1 especially had a strong start, but the level design was just awful, boring, repetitive crap once you were about 2/3 in. Goldeneye was a much better console shooter, but the realm of the shooter really belongs to the PC with mouse and keyboard.

Halo was an OK game. It had pretty nice graphics for the time. The vehicles were fun. The story was pretty good for a shooter. The console controls were pretty forgiving. In comparison to the UT series, Deus Ex, Half-Life, etc... it's nothing remarkable. But, it brought a good, solid shooter to the consoles for the first time since Goldeneye. And it made the multiplayer deathmatch experience accessible to the masses.

Site Administrator

Board Veteran

Postby vandal » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:50 pm

Well you have your opinion and i have mine. I've always been more of a console fanboy and i do not like the idea of upgrading a pc everytime a new revolutionary game comes out, only to have it outdated in a few months. That and the console controls have always felt more natural to me. And maybe you're right, maybe halo is overrated but it is a very fun game and that is pretty much all that counts. Like shades mentioned earlier, UT looks a little too fast paced and is just all out warfare while the other games just kinda seem like they require more skill to take someone down. One game on your list that was a VERY good game was Half life. I was amazed at all the little puzzles in the second one and the combine were a formidable and very bad ass enemy. I am looking forward to getting the next two episodes of that game!
Just Like You Imagined

Board Veteran

Postby Nards » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:29 pm

Halo had a very dramatic score that made me feel like I was part of something larger. Like I wasn't just an un-named soldier in an ordinary fight/war. I was effin' Master effin' Chief, and I was gonna save the world! I know, not the most original concept. But Halo did do the health meter restore thing right, in my opinion. Of course, they may have stolen that idea from another game. And I'm really not a FPS freak, I'm just giving the opinion of someone that has played a few FPS casually, mostly on consoles, except for a couple of UTs and Quake 2 on PC.
Wait...where in the hell is the mission door?

Posting God

Postby Kix » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:58 pm

And hey, Red vs Blue rocked.

Now having said all this... I'm still planning to get Halo 3...

Site Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to FPS