Rift

Discussion of past, present, and future MMORPGs
Regular

Rift

Postby Urdo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:36 am

http://www.riftgame.com/en/

Not a lot of hype about it - which can be a good thing sometimes. The leveling system looks like Diablo (putting points in skills) with a twist - you can work on 3 different classes at the same time on a single toon. And you can change any of the 3 classes and work on a different ones at any time. The art work ,I think, looks like mix of WoW and EQ2 but with updated engine. Only thing I am curious about is game play.

Regular

Postby Urdo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:07 am

OK, NDA was lifted so I can tell you few things about it. Game feels like hybrid between WoW and WAR with a twist - the souls system. You can get 3 souls of same archetype (warrior, cleric, mage and rogue). Warriors have tank and DPS souls, mage - DPS and healer, cleric - tank, DPS AND healer and rogue - DPS and tank (ppl were really happy with the rogue tank soul). You get ponts that you assign to the souls. For now we have 51 ponts to work in all 3 soul trees but the dev's are working on increasing the points and giving us more choice at the low and high end on the tree. I am calling them trees because they have roots and branches ( :) I know I am stupid). You put points in the branches and if you spend enough points in the branches - a root opens (roots are usable skills and branches are skills, skill upgrades or stat upgrades). The soul system enables you to switch ur build mid fight so u can start as a healer but if another tank is needed press a button and there u go - u are a tank :).
Now y is it like WoW - the combat has GCT (global cooldown time) which pisses a lot of ppl but I guess it's easier on the programming side. The UI is like WoW or WAR so nothing groundbreaking here. And it just has a WoW feeling I can't explain lol.
WAR- the Rifts feel like open quests in WAR but are random in time and place. They introduced invasions (basically Rift opens, becomes stable and invasion force start moving toward a city or quest hub and takes it over if no1 stops them. This prevents from doing quests for that city or hub until the invaders are dealt with.
And now for the coolest thing I saw in this game - zone wide event - massive invasion that was going to take over all the cities and quest hubs in the zone. Of course pic or it didn't happen :)

The green arrows are the invaders and the blue the NPC defenders

Board Veteran

Postby Cael » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:20 pm

I'm curious to check this one out. I played it a bit at PAX and a coworker was telling me all about the beta. I'm still waiting for SW:TOR, but that might not show until mid-year and LotRO is only so much of a fix...

I've applied for the beta, but no love just yet.

Posting God

Postby Kix » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:43 am

I'm also holding out for SWTOR but Rift is getting some nice reviews. Hooray for Trion!

Site Administrator

Board Veteran

Postby Kalia » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:12 am

I am in the beta now thru tomorrow. Its8 pretty fun.

Regular

Postby Urdo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:27 am

There is an open beta event from tomorrow to Monday morning (6 days). Any1 that creates an (free) account with Trion can play in the beta. If you want to check it out.......

Board Veteran

Postby Kalia » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:28 am

Lets coordinate servers as i will probably play this. I am currrently in the beta on tje dark side. When the hame launches lets all get together on the same server.

Board Veteran

Postby Cael » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:20 pm

I'm also running through beta with a group of coworkers and friends from previous games. We're looking at the "dark" side too (Defiant). We're on the Briarcliff for Beta.

I'm "Cael", "Ael", or "Schaden" (with my li'l pet, Freude).

Regular

Postby Urdo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:35 pm

I pre-ordered with 4 months paid. Have to choose server on Thursday I guess :). I am fine with either side - both are "dark" btw :). Not sure what I'll play tho - I'll have 2 mains for sure - 1 rogue and 1 cleric. Will check here on Thursday to see what u guys chose.

Board Veteran

Postby Kalia » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:44 am

Lets pick a server.. i dont want to be on a pvp server thoigh. Can we pick a pve one?

Board Veteran

Postby Nards » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:39 pm

I choose...you, Pikachu!
Wait...where in the hell is the mission door?

Board Veteran

Postby Cael » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:18 pm

Hmmm, I'll most likely be rolling on the Briarcliff server again, once the head-start period starts on Thursday (2/24). I love the PvP action (less predictable than even good AI), so it suits me. I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but suggest folks try it out.

In any case, I'm sure I'll see you in-game sometime soon, since SW:TOR will eventually launch, right? Right?!?

Happy hunting, all. 8)

Board Veteran

Postby Kalia » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:23 pm

I vote for the server Gnarlwood because I like the name. Plus the 1st couple of servers on the list are usually jammed.
I will roll a toon on there tomorrow night. Sorry Cael, but I just can't do PvP server.
Will be Defias or whatever the side is called, and a caster of course.
Who's with me?

Board Veteran

Postby Cael » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:00 pm

No worries. I'll probably roll a couple toons there too, just in case.

Regular

Postby Urdo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:12 am

So defiant? or whatever the name? Cool. Look for Urdo, Lodus, Ozelid or Dissing (bard) :)

Next

Return to MMORPG General