EA's woes....

Star Wars: the Old Republic
Posting God

EA's woes....

Postby Kix » Mon May 07, 2012 5:49 pm

According to EA's earnings report, subs for SWTOR dropped 24% this quarter. Yikes! Rumor has it that internally, SWTOR is doing "OK" and not spectacularly.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-sales-beat-targets-star-wars-takes-hit-2012-05-07

It's pretty funny to think that before WoW, 1.3M subscribers would have been considered "COMPLETELY AWESOME" and now it's a reason for stock price to tank by 5%...

Site Administrator

Board Veteran

Re: EA's woes....

Postby Abon » Tue May 08, 2012 8:33 am

EA, well gaming as a whole, has been under pressure since last year. Look at what happened to Zynga after IPO. There was good news in the EA report too but gaming investors were hunting for "bad news". IMO, if the results exceeded expectations (which I think revenue did but users didn't) the uptick would have been short lived. For investors it is usually more about expectations than the result. I'm waiting for EA stock to hit bottom and then I'm jumping in. Most of the sector seems undervalued right now. Another good quarter or reports of a big game or big deal might stabilize the stock and begin the trend back up.

Last week, my company crushed expectations and previous performance....stock went down 8% that day. The market is stupid :)
Abon - lvl50 BH Mercenary - 400 Cybertech
Proteus - lvl43 Inq Sorcerer
PizzaTheHutta - lvl3 Imp Agent and pizza magnate

Board Veteran

Postby Eicer » Tue May 08, 2012 8:37 am

Abon wrote:EA, well gaming as a whole, has been under pressure since last year. Look at what happened to Zynga after IPO. There was good news in the EA report too but gaming investors were hunting for "bad news". IMO, if the results exceeded expectations (which I think revenue did but users didn't) the uptick would have been short lived. For investors it is usually more about expectations than the result. I'm waiting for EA stock to hit bottom and then I'm jumping in. Most of the sector seems undervalued right now. Another good quarter or reports of a big game or big deal might stabilize the stock and begin the trend back up.

Last week, my company crushed expectations and previous performance....stock went down 8% that day. The market is stupid :)

holy cow bon, that sounded smart as hell, no idea what your talking about (cuz im not that bright)....but that gets me thinking, Abon is taking over my 401k
It's not powerleveling...its leveling as fast as you can...with POWER!!

Board Veteran

Postby Abon » Tue May 08, 2012 9:10 am

That's ok. Tanks are meatshields.

Damn. EA opened 7% down. When there's blood in the streets, buy. (past performance is not a guarantee of future performance. take investing seriously)

Board Veteran

Postby Abon » Tue May 08, 2012 9:20 am

Upon doing some actual analysis...and this is how stupid the market can be...EA has beaten expectations in 9 of the last 12 quarters and never been below expectations in that period. Just proof that people rarely invest in companies anymore and it's big firms investing in sectors (or un-investing in this case) that tends to move stock in the long term.

I know what you're thinking Chuck. How can something have 12 quarters? That's like being "in 110%".

Board Veteran

Postby Eicer » Tue May 08, 2012 9:59 am

Abon wrote:
I know what you're thinking Chuck. How can something have 12 quarters? That's like being "in 110%".

lol, exactly, 12 quarters in a whole, a dollar is now worth 3 dollars...im making money hand over fist

Posting God

Postby Kix » Tue May 08, 2012 1:44 pm

I'll be happy to take over your 401k... for a small fee, of course.

Site Administrator

Regular

Postby Erains » Tue May 08, 2012 8:26 pm

The market has changed. I am a PC gamer and retail marketing has changed in the last few years. The only games my WalMart carries now is some Simms and WoW with a Rift. Everything else is PS3 or Xbox.
Now with the many games for PS3 and Xbox mainly directed toward pre-teen and teen, I have seen a big shift away from the traditional PC games.
Also the trend for f2p is taking a toll on traditional subscription base. I saw where EQ has gone f2p last month. I miss my EQ, and thought about going back, but I hate f2p.
With the recent release of other games, it is going to be hard for any one company to maintain a subscription base for any lenght of time.
Just to many games and in too many formats.
Did I mention that Everquest Next is in the works...lol :lol:
Piney Woods

Posting God

Postby Kix » Wed May 09, 2012 1:16 pm

Even video game distributors are moving away from PC titles. But that's OK, EVERYONE is moving away from physical distribution at all -- in 5 years, it'll probably be downright hard to even get a boxed copy.

As someone who works/worked on f2p games, I can tell you with no question that the next few years will NOT be led by traditional subscription models.

Site Administrator

Board Veteran

Postby Abon » Wed May 09, 2012 2:57 pm

I'm an idiot. I had to look up f2p...free to play. I have tried some f2p and so far am not a fan of the play style. I got tired of the "he cheats because he buys diamonds. I will never spend money in this game." that was in chat almost every day. Also, since it was free, people would open up numerous accounts that caused guild and game play problems. A lot of this can be "fixed" but I didn't see any desire to do it. I throw EA in there too since Ultima was one of the games.

Regular

Postby Erains » Wed May 09, 2012 4:19 pm

I am still old school and don't trust 401k's.
Piney Woods

Posting God

Postby Kix » Wed May 09, 2012 5:44 pm

I love League of Legends, which is one of the best implementations of a "core game" with a good free-to-play model going. You can buy ALMOST anything by grinding in-game currency -- the only exceptions are temporary powerups that make you level/etc faster, which is surprisingly not a big deal at all, and aesthetic-only skins for your characters. In practice, since I have more spending money than I have time, I tend to buy things like characters and save my in-game money for things you can ONLY get that way (runes).

However, free games have the worst communities going -- it's free and there's almost no barrier other than a download for playing. Full of irritating, smarmy 12-year-olds joking about jerking it to Emi's avatar.

Site Administrator

Board Veteran

Postby Flex » Thu May 10, 2012 7:26 am

kaci and i play league of legends. It's pretty cool.
Stelio....Stelio Kontos...

Board Veteran

Postby Abon » Thu May 10, 2012 8:17 am

Ultima was exactly the game I was looking for but the community ruined it. It became impossible to play and enjoy.

Board Veteran

Postby Eicer » Thu May 10, 2012 2:01 pm

i will be playing GW2 however, it is f2p, however, its kinda setting me back when i read that for certain in game items you will have to pay real $$$ to get them. i enjoyed the solo gaming however of GW1, and the videos on the website look pretty damn cool and the classes look like something ive been wanting to play for awhile now.

basically looks like 5 core abilities, and the abilities change depending on what weapons you have equipped. for example, ill play an assasin, and you can dual wield guns, a gun and sword, a dagger and a sword, and as you toggle through your weapons, your abilities change, pretty cool play style i think

Next

Return to SW:TOR