Stress test is over

Tolkien ubergeeks rejoice!
Board Veteran

Stress test is over

Postby Emide » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:53 pm

I'm not sure what I can and can't say about the stress test beta for NDA sake. I will say that I participated and it was really fun. There are certainly similarities to another game, but it feels like the game also has a life of its own. I'm considering buying this one. It was a good time this weekend! Plus it made me watch the movies again.

Posting God

Postby Kix » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:14 pm

There is no longer an NDA for LotRO.

Site Administrator

Board Veteran

Postby Nards » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:49 pm

Thank the Lord! Now I can finally tell you all everything I know!

I like bologna and cheese sandwiches, with mustard on both slices of Country Kitchen Hearty Canadian White bread. Sometimes I wear the same pair of jeans two days in a row(if I'm only going out to get bread). And finally, I still do not have my new computer. Hopefully the end of this week, early next week. Done.
Wait...where in the hell is the mission door?

Board Veteran

Postby Emide » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:00 am

Dammit! The bread down here sucks! I miss Country Kitchen! Bologna sandwiches are the bomb. I prefer just mustard and bologna, no cheese.

Good luck getting your computer!

So, I liked LotRO. It was very similar to WoW in general format, but hey, they've got to be doing something right with a gagillion subscribers, so it is no wonder elements get taken. Unless you are SWG, then you should not have changed to be more WoW like.

It also had some CoH elements, like keeping track of abilities, missions, mobs. I didn't play long enough to see if there was any benefit to these trackers other than perhaps a title. The quests I did were interesting and wove together well to tell a complete story.

The tutorial was a story driven instance, similar to CoH, but more intense. The first zone was an intro level with an exit quest once you've completed a mission line. It also was story driven, and the exit quest was an instance. It helped you really get immersed in the world.

I played a Captain, which I LOVED. I got to kick some booty and I had cool abilities I could use after the foe was defeated, like a heal or a combat speed multiplier. I had a Mistrel which was hardier than I expected. It was kinda cool to play a guitar at something to damage it. I had a Hunter and it was a neat build, but I found I was way more effective as a group member (fellowship) than solo.

A few quests have you kill a unique, and although people can be jerks, in all, people were pretty polite and formed groups to take it down so as many people could get credit as possible. It definitely could be a bottle next though when people all start at the same time. The spawn rate was excellent though.

Okay, those are some random thoughts, I'm sure I'll have more later.

Posting God

Postby Kix » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:38 pm

The trackers give you a lot more than a title -- they can also reward you with "traits" which are basically modifications to your character, generally tweaking your stats in some small-but-useful way.

Site Administrator

Return to Lord of the Rings Online